Monday, September 17, 2007

Great Minds Think Alike

The other day I posted on ILLEGAL immigrant Anchor Babies. Now I read that Fred! Thompson yesterday spoke on this very subject.
Thompson, a former senator from Tennessee, said it might be time to reconsider the country's long-standing practice -- one prescribed by the Constitution -- of granting citizenship to any child born on U.S. soil.

...

"That law was created in another time and place for valid reasons," Thompson said during a campaign stop here. "It probably needs to be revisited."

...

Since then, anyone born in the U.S. has been automatically granted citizenship apart from rare exceptions involving the children of foreign diplomats.

Friday, Thompson -- for the second day in a row -- said he was willing to reconsider that.

"The question is whether or not it would require a constitutional amendment or change in law," he said. He also said he wasn't sure such a provision would ever pass.

"That one, I'm not sure about."

...

A bigger problem, he said, was so-called "chain migration" -- the practice of giving preferential treatment to the immediate family members of children who are born here.

Thompson said under current law, those children can "grow up and be used as anchors to bring in other people." He said he was "dead set" against that.

If I didn't know any better I would say that Fred! read my post and repeated my views. But I know that he didn't, he is just speaking his views and they align with mine. That is another reason I support Fred!.

Great minds think alike.


Mr Minority

Labels: