Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Dammit I Hate Agreeing with the Dems!!

This is one of those issues that polarize people and really needs a close examination of of your views on personal freedoms: Flag Burning.

There is Admendment in the Senate to outlaw the burning of the American Flag.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A proposed constitutional amendment to outlaw the burning of the American flag won the approval on Tuesday of a Senate Judiciary Committee split largely along party lines.

Raised by some Republicans as a mark of patriotism this election year, the measure passed on a 11-7 vote and was sent to the full Senate for final congressional approval. While the Senate has repeatedly rejected such measures in the past, both sides predict a razor-close vote this time.

Backers said the proposal is needed to protect a symbol of American democracy. But foes warned the measure would infringe on First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and expression.

I am going to tell y'all straight up - I am an American Patriot! I have served my country in the military at a time of war, and I have exersized my duty as a American Citizen in voting, but I do not believe we should outlaw the burning of the American Flag legally. And unfortunately I agree with Patrick Leahy and Collin Powell in this statement:
"I worry about what we are doing here," said Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the Judiciary Committee's ranking Democrat.

Leahy noted that President Bush's secretary of state, Colin Powell, a retired four-star general, came out against such a measure in 1999.

Leahy quoted Powell as saying: "I would not amend that great shield of democracy to hammer a few miscreants. The flag will still be flying proudly long after they have slunk away."

This issue has 2 sides - Patriotism and Freedom of Speech, and I will always protect the Freedom of Speech. When we start limiting the Freedom of Speech, limiting or outlawing the rest of our Freedoms are not far behind. I get pissed when they limit my 2nd Admendment rights, I get pissed when they trounce on my 5th Admendment rights, why shouldn't I get pissed when they try to limit my 1st Admendment rights? When the Gov't starts to control our Rights and Freedoms, then they have started down the slippery slope to Totalitarism. What if the Gov't did outlaw Flag Burning, what is to say they next wouldn't outlaw wearing of the Flag or when you can fly it, or that you have to fly it? These are the steps that can possibly happen once they start down that path.

Let me say that I would probably beat the crap out of a Flag burner if I saw them, because they are desecrating a symbol of our great Nation, and I have a low tolerance to Anti-American behavior, but I would be in violation of their 1st Admendment Right (too bad, I still would beat the crap out of them). Collin Powell hit the nail on the head when he said the American Flag will still be flying long after the flag burning assbags have slunk away.


Mr Minority - And I do hate agreeing with the Dems